I am currently teaching a Lent series on this topic. Our first class was last night. I explained that while I used the word spiritual in the title, it was only because I was not sure that “Raising Disciples” would be as understandable. But really that is the focus of our class – how do we raise our children to be disciples.
We started with a discussion on what it means to us to be disciples. Or, in other words, what values and beliefs do we hope our children will learn and pass on to their children. Here are the 5 we came up with:
○ To know that God is active in their lives and loves them unconditionally
○ The importance of communicating with God on a regular basis
○ A structure to make good choices
○ To know that God has a purpose for their lives
○ To be able to spread the Word of God to others
For the next 5 weeks, we are going to focus on one of these topics. Hopefully we will learn some tips from each other, since no one is an expert on raising children, but we hope to lay a foundation of faith that will support all they do.